Friday, November 04, 2005

November 10, 1990 - Marriage

It was a perfect day. We had a small wedding at Jennifer's folk’s house in Edmond. We filled the front room with a few friends and our families. The guy that introduced us was my best man. Jennifer was radiant. A more beautiful bride there never was. A family friend performed the ceremony. We had orange (not peach) cake. We enjoyed being with family. We left in her VW Beatle. Our friends had written we need money on the window. Just a few miles away at a stop light a nice couple asked us if we really needed money. Looking back we should have said yes. Our honey moon consisted of a room at the Embassy Suites across town. That night we went to Olive Garden for a 'fancy' dinner (We were young). Some time during the night we watched Crocodile Dundee. It was a short honeymoon. We were poor and had to be at work Monday.

Jennifer and I agreed on a date to tell her folks about us getting married. We went to Edmond that weekend for what was mostly a normal weekend at her folks. Finally Jen and her mom went shopping and for pie at Tippins for her to tell her mom. I was going to ask her Dad while she was gone. I was terribly nervous. He and I spent time cleaning the garage. Then Jen and her mom returned. They were done and I hadn't even edged into it one bit. She and her mom went inside without saying anything. They knew I hadn't asked her dad yet. So I gutted up. He was very thrilled. No problem what so ever. All that time doing projects around his house had paid off. He and I in our typical fashion began plotting against the girls. So he stormed into the house yelling screaming about me how he knocked me out. Her grandma, who was living with them at the time, was quite upset by his actions. Jen ran out to the garage to check on me. When she opened the door I was there smiling.

Leading up to the marriage was interesting. As I said before her parents had recently move to Edmond. They purchased an older home that needed some work. When they found out we wanted to be married there. They freaked a little. The house work immediately began. A new floor in the kitchen and sod the front yard is what I remember most but there was a lot of other work that went into it. Thousands!

I didn't have a bachelor's party. My best friend came to town the morning of the wedding. We spent some time together talking away from her folk’s house. We thought we'd plot that I'd changed my mind and headed back to Tulsa. This was a horrible mistake, which I regret to this day. Jennifer, I am still sorry we put you through that.

I love my wife!