Wednesday, November 02, 2005

April, 1990 - The first "I love you"

The first "I Love You" took about a month. We had both been burned in the past and didn't want to commit ourselves too quickly. I did dorky stuff when we talked on the phone like say, "You know I really, really, really like you... a lot". At the time a new record out by Jane Child was called 'I don't want to fall in love'. I played it to her all the time. It was really our anti-song. It got much worse before I broke out the 'L' word.

I drove to see her every weekend. I got a job where I worked 4-10 hour days giving me three day weekends every week. I spent them all with her. If I came to town when she was working I would get her flowers and ask the first person I found at her job to take them to her. I would hide and wait to see her reaction. She always cried and then began looking for me frantically. I am surprised I didn't get her fired from that job.

Our first fight came and went some time later. I have no idea what it was about. You can bet it concerned our not getting to see each other enough. The night it happened, I immediately got into my car and headed to Ponca. I showed up on her door step playing Chicago's "Love me tomorrow". No I hadn't seen 'Say Anything', but it is now one of my favorites for this reason.

Our weekend usually involved at least one trip to Mazzios. We usually did free stuff as much as possible. We spent time at the park, the lake, the dam but mostly just hung out at her apartment. Sunday's, starting from the first date, we went to Church. She insisted that her parents would never approve of someone who didn't. We always went to her folks for Sunday lunch. I spent time in the afternoon endearing myself to her family by doing odd jobs around their house. Unfortunately, this went on for years. My leaving on Sunday nights was nearly always with her crying.

The truth is I loved her from the moment we met. I could have married her by month one. I am a lucky man!

I love my Wife!