Tuesday, November 01, 2005

March 20, 1990 -We Met

I was living with my folks in Tulsa after I got out of the Air Force. I was trying to find my civilian life. I worked at my folks print shop. My best friend Grant had over the last couple of years had talked about this girl Jennifer he went to school with. One night he said she and her apartment-mate would be having a party and we should go. Of course I didn't have anything better to do on a Tuesday night (yes Tuesday). To my parents dismay, I took off part of the day on Tuesday so we could drive to her town a couple of hours away. When we hit town, Ponca City, we stopped at the Pizza Inn. After that we went on to 'her' parents house.

We got to 'her' house about the same time she did. She had been running and not planning on us being there. The first time I saw her she was wearing a multi colored striped shorts out fit. Her hair was up in a pony tail. She was gorgeous. She was full of energy. The three of us had some small talk. I teased her about the small size of her towns newspaper was. (Those who know me know meeting people isn't my strong suit.) After some time we agreed to meet for pizza at Mazzios. On the way out of the driveway, I was overwhelmed by my feelings for her. Meanwhile my friend and I would head to the store for refreshements for the party. In an awkward moment I first met her mom, after purchasing said refreshments, in the parking lot of the store. She didn't know about the party and we were't talking.

At Mazzios she did the girl thing eating very little. I convinced her to eat at least one piece. I have no idea what was said, but it remains a fond memory.

She and I spoke some at the party. I tried to keep some distance as my friend was obviously thinking she was his. He soon saw the chemistry between us and gave me the green light. We had our first kiss that night.

I spent the rest of the night and on till 5 am when we had to leave to get my friend to work by 8 am in Tulsa. She cried when I left. I slept most of the day away. My folks weren't thrilled about another day of work missed. I called her that night. She was somehow surprised. I returned that weekend for our first official date.