Tuesday, August 30, 2005

Don't Forget Mississippi

It seems like the media has an infatuation with New Orleans. Hurricane Katrina was supposed to hit there but turn and made direct hit on Gulfport, Mississippi. Is the French quarter more important. I understand there is higher population in New Orleans, but the worst damage was not there.

I spent eight months of my life in Biloxi, Mississippi during my Air Force training. Its a great place with great people. They were obviously not as ready. The story of complete destruction is not as 'media-cool' as breaking levees. So remember when stories covering Mississippi, one of the poorest states in the country, begin to fade, they took the direct hit.

https://www.redcross.org/donate/donation-form.asp

7 Comments:

At 11:03 AM, Blogger nairb said...

Also, Don't forget how much fun it is to spell...
M-I-SS-I-SS-I-PP-I

 
At 11:56 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't forget about Alabama as well. Mobile was hit pretty hard from all accounts.

 
At 11:57 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You guys are probably too young to remember but there was a cartoon that had a song that you did the "follow the bouncing ball" thing that taught you how to spell it:

MIS SIS SIPPI
It used to be so hard to spell
it used to make me cry
But since I've started spelling
it's easy as pumpkin pie
MIS SIS SIPPI

 
At 11:58 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

And not that anybody asked but we are all fine here as well. Some trees down and slight flooding but other than that, OK.

 
At 12:02 PM, Blogger nairb said...

iroL,

I have the smartest sister ever. I am a schmuck. Sorry I didn't call. Glad to hear you are OK.

I Love you sis!

 
At 12:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, like you said, it doesn't seem that anywhere besides New Orleans (bless them of course) had any problems. I'm ready for the 30 mph winds to die down...

Love you too kid.

 
At 11:11 PM, Blogger Wezie said...

My brother is retired Navy living in Biloxi - he works on an offshore oil rig (he's THEIR Chef Preston)....He and his family evacuated to Tenn. Amazingly, acording to his neighbor, his house was spared - no flooding, just some wind damage! He was very fortunate considering the amount of damage Biloxi received. Preston and I considered heading that way next weekend to help out, but it looks like alot of the roads are closed and it would be really hard to get there.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home