Tuesday, November 08, 2005

September 13, 2002 - Our second house

This one was more fun than the first to buy. The problem was selling our old house. We had begun construction when we placed our house on the market. It seemed like forever until we had the first of what ended up being three different buyers. The fist buyer didn't last a week. The second buyer looked good. We packed all of our stuff and put it in storage and found a place to house sit for the summer. The day before closing we called to find out where closing would be and found out the lender wouldn't loan to a ‘dead-beat dad’. Now we panicked. We thought for sure we'd have to give up the new house and move back to the first. Finally the house sold. We were very happy to be homeless. Several weeks later our house was ready and we moved in.

That summer Jennifer did everything with the kids. When took them to swim lessons, I would meet them at the pool for a long lunch. We had a great summer in a very small house. Jennifer made what could have been a bleak summer for all of us one of our best ever. She and I had a great time this summer. We were living the dream of family time.

When August rolled around, Jennifer drove the kids 20 miles away to their new school, every day. She never missed a beat.

We love our new house and have plans of improving it as we go. The first year I used an old riding mower that broke down as often as it ran. She was the one who convinced me that I should buy a new one. “I could be spending part of that time with the kids” she said. We also went through a period when we were going through the motions but not relating to each other much. She is my compass. She insisted that we take time to ourselves and made all of the arrangements for a weekend away at a B&B. It was a much needed rejuvenation.

I love my wife as much today as I ever did. She is still that girl full of energy and life whom I stole away from her father at too young of an age. If you've seen our wedding picture you'd agree. I can't believe after all of these years she still loves me, but she makes it apparent every day. We are really a team now. We'd rather spend time together than be anywhere else.

I love my wife!