Monday, July 31, 2006

PVR Greatness or Curse?


We got a PVR (DVR/ Tivo like device) a few years ago. My first thought was how great it was to not have to worry about finding a blank VCR tape when I recorded a show. Truth was most shows were not worthy of such attention from me. It was always a hassle. Over the year I have learned to appreciate it much much more. I love to pause.. go do something.. and return where I was.

In the last year I have noticed the PVR has given me some type of affliction. I have a type of 'jump-back syndrome'. In my head I feel like everthing should be able to jump back 5 seconds. This all started in the car. I change radio stations a lot. I wwould hear the end of a weather forcast and reach out to the radio to 'jump back'. I don't have the ability to do this with my radio. It is a side effect of my PVR illness. At one point I started thinking about how I could develope this idea into a product. I soon realized that, unlike my TV PVR, I didn't want to jump back on the station I was listening to but any station I may turn it to. That is a very different problem. For now it is just a frustration.
Last night at Church, we attended a dinner. Some people spoke. Most of it was quite humorous. I turned to look at something going on and missed what was said and immediately thought how can I jump back to hear the joke. Basically this has entered my life as something I think about often.

Do you think God does this when we do something funny?

6 Comments:

At 11:04 AM, Blogger Web Bulimic said...

Maggie and I have had the exact same experience. It's weird how you can almost re-wire your brain like that. It happens to me on the radio (I have XM) all the time with sport updates.

 
At 2:55 PM, Blogger Joanie said...

I'm thankful I am not the only one that now and then thinks I can rewind reality a bit and see what I missed. It happens way too frequently for me. The other day, I saw the last part of a car making a crazy turn and tried to "jump back" to see what made it start turning like that. I guess I'm just a TIVO girl, living in a TIVO world.

 
At 4:09 PM, Blogger Josh said...

Lol... That's funny.

We have PVR, and my biggest frustration is when you're skipping forward through commercials, get to the last one, skip ahead, and then end up having to rewind back to the last place you skipped.

Another frustration is that I don't know which movies are playing anymore because we don't watch commercials.

 
At 10:09 PM, Blogger Jenn said...

ira and i, also, had the "radio jump back" thoughts! i actually get frustrated when i have to watch commercials. so spoiled...

we were cracking up the other night because ij kept rewinding a funny thing on spongebob squarepants and laughing and laughing, rewinding, laughing, so on and so on. so funny!

the thing i don't like is that when we swapped tv's from the living room to the bedroom we cannot get the fancy remote to control the sound and channels on the other tv. we have to MANUALLY turn up the tv. oh, the agony.

 
At 4:30 PM, Blogger ftwskies said...

Where's the button to add more cowbell?

--Jim <><

 
At 10:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I dont want to use the rewind feature... I want a fast forward feature in life. Or just a button to skip forward when dealing with the goobers

 

Post a Comment

<< Home